I always need breakfast to start my day. Fortunately, the brekky scene Downtown has expanded rapidly within the last few months.
Whether you need a spot for that morning meeting or didn’t have time to eat before hitting traffic, here are the newer breakfast options within walking distance of Bishop Street:
Burgers on Bishop
- Topa Tower, ground floor, 745 Fort St., 586-2000
- Mon-Thurs 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Fri 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Dine-in friendly
- Recommended: Croque Madame – This sandwich truly embodies breakfast. The melted cheddar and rich, creamy béchamel balance the ham’s smokiness. And the oozing egg yolk makes everything glorious.
- You'll also find: Fresh scones, housemade croissants, fresh fruit cups, acai bowls, housemade granola and Greek yogurt, sandwiches, salads and burgers
- 1148 Bishop St., 597-8151
- Mon-Fri 5:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Takeout (there are only a few tables)
- Recommended: Early Bird Special – This top-selling breakfast plate delivers when you want something comforting. The fried rice upgrade (50 cents more) is totally worth it, since the rice has chunks of Portuguese sausage and green onions. This isn't the most loaded breakfast plate, but it's enough to keep me content without entering a full-on food coma. Note: Tsukenjo serves breakfast until 10 a.m.
- You'll also find: Loco mocos, fried rice omelets, roast pork hash, sweet bread french toast, plate lunch breakfast specials
- 1110 Nuuanu Ave., 400-5788
- Tues-Fri 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Sat-Sun 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Dine-in friendly, but make reservations if you’re going mid- or late morning
- Recommended: Dutch Baby – Recommended for sharing, but you probably won’t want to. It’s thin and crepelike, and the subtle sweetness from the honey drizzle is outstanding. Watch for savory Dutch Babies coming soon to Yield's menu.
- You'll also find: Kale florentine, duck egg omelette, steak and eggs, farmers breakfast
Well + Proper
- 918 Smith St., 319-7544
- Mon-Fri 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Takeout (only four counter seats)
- Recommended: Acai bowl with mac nut butter – Well + Proper opens at 9:30, so if you don’t get hungry until midmorning, this acai bowl’s a chill breakfast. The acai isn’t super sweet or tart, thanks to the creamy mac nut butter and raw cacao nibs. The fresh fruits are delicious and the housemade raw-nola is softer than typical granola, with a chewier oat texture.
- You'll also find: Fruit smoothies, green smoothies, pitaya bowls, hot elixirs, other acai bowls
Artizen by MW
- 250 St. Hotel St. inside Hawaii State Art Museum (HISAM), 524-0499
- Breakfast Mon-Fri 7:30-10:30 a.m.
- Dine-in friendly
- Recommended: Avocado toast – Share this with a friend if you’re not super hungry, because the mochi bread will fill you up. This toast is loaded with creamy, flavorful avocado mash, grilled kale, a slightly sweet Ho Farms tomato jam and a sunny side up egg. All of which is proverbial icing on the toast, because the thick, spongy, chewy bread alone is glorious.
- You'll also find: Kalua pork, taro hash and eggs, Portuguese sausage and eggs, buttered toast, toasted bagels, breakfast sandwiches