Dude, you made that? follows the cooking adventures of two hungry millennials.
Fourth of July is tomorrow and the Dudes have the perfect red, white and blue snack to cool you down. Honey Toast is a popular dessert from Tokyo's Shibuya that does a great job of unifying opposing elements, pairing warm, crunchy toast with cool, soft ice cream. It also highlights the great chemistry between sweet honey and salted butter. Here's their all-American spin on one of their favorite Japanese desserts.
FOURTH OF JULY HONEY TOAST
What you need:
- ~1 cup strawberries
- ~1 cup blueberries
- 6 raspberries (for skewers)
- 1 banana (for skewers)
- 3 kebab skewers
- ½ loaf of uncut white bread
- vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- ¾ stick of butter
NOTE: Cornstarch and red sprinkles were shown in the video, but we did not use or need them!
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut out the inside of the bread, making sure not to cut all the way through and leaving the bottom as a base.
- Cut the soft inside bread into bite-size cubes.
- Microwave the butter for 15-20 seconds.
- Using a brush or the back of a spoon, butter the inside of the hollowed-out bread.
- Lightly butter all of the bread cubes by dipping or brushing individually.
- Put bread in 325-degree oven or toaster oven and toast until lightly toasted. You don’t want it crispy all the way through, just the outsides.
- Leaving aside three strawberries for the skewers, cut the rest into halves or fourths.
- On high heat, let the strawberries sit in a pan with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. Once you have enough compote, empty into a bowl and refrigerate.
- Follow step #9 for the blueberries, leaving 12 on the side (4 for each skewer)
- Assemble the skewers (blueberry > banana > raspberry > blueberry > banana > strawberry).
- Fill the hollowed-out bread with the cubes, and lightly drizzle with honey.
- Add one generous scoop of ice cream on top of the cubes.
- Lightly drizzle some more honey.
- Poke the skewers in, take your photo, and enjoy the explosive flavors!
Hungry for more?
Dude, you made ramen burger?
Dude, you made salmon skin roll?
Dude, you made spicy ramyun carbonara?
Dude, you made kimchi fried rice?
Dude, you made melona soju?
Dude, you made Doritos grilled cheese?