Get ready to twirl your chopsticks, natto lovers, Hawaii's annual midsummer Natto Day dinner is coming up — on July 10, the same auspicious day when natto-loving Japan celebrates the stinky-slimy fermented bean!
This one is definitely natt-yo average feast. Eight courses at Shokudo are all original natto creations from the mind of corporate exec chef Arnaldo "Masa" Gushiken, who until now had never in his life cooked with natto. Which is impressive, considering Gushiken's extremely natto-centric menu of everything from izakaya classics to loco moco with natto three ways. And natto honey toast, or course!
Read on for full menu and online ticket link:
• Natto Cheese & Crackers: Yes, cheese made in-house with natto and served on pressed-natto crackers
• Natto Bakudan: This means 'bomb' in Japanese — a slimefest of fresh ahi, hamachi, ika and shrimp with quail egg, okra, yamaimo mountain yam and natto, mixed with shoyu
• Natto Kakiage Tempura & Natto Salt: Tempura of natto, onions and carrots sprinkled with dehydrated natto salt
• Natto & Unagi Dashimaki Tamago: Japanese egg roll with natto and dashi, wrapped around unagi
• Natto Gyoza: With natto, cabbage, onion and garlic
• Natto Loco Moco: Piece de resistance with a broke da mouth natto-beef patty, natto fried rice and natto-beef broth hayashi gravy
• Caramelized Natto & Banana Lumpia: Crispy, cinnamony and warm.
• Natto Honey Toast & Natto Ice Cream: Shokudo's signature dessert, re-imagined for the occasion. Vanilla ice cream blended with plenty natto beans, natto dust and a hint of dashi-shoyu, plus sweet and crunchy natto candy to die for
Come together with fellow natto lovers on the one night we can all indulge without getting stink eye! This dinner is open to the public, with only one rule: You must love natto. This dinner always sells out and the kitchen, led by Gushiken and Shokudo chef de cuisine Christopher Murakami, will be going full-bore with eight courses for about 100 people, so no menu substitutions. Here are the details:
NATT-YO AVERAGE NATTO DINNER
Tuesday, July 10
1585 Kapiolani Blvd.
Corkage: Discounted to $15 per bottle for the occasion; there will be a full no-host bar
Parking: Shokudo is next to Ala Moana Center; there's also validated parking in the Shokudo building
See you on July 10!