Olympic medalists Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano announced that they are bringing Hawaii’s first ice skating show in 20 years to the Blaisdell Arena on November 20 and 21 yesterday, and wowed us with a little performance of their own. The show will feature a long list of international skating stars, and people are excited because it’s the first time all of them will be skating together on the same ice.
We were so excited about the show and meeting both Kristi and Brian, that we asked for a little skating lesson (with Olena Heu as the student).
“I haven’t ice skated in five years so I was a bit wobbly at first trying to get acclimated,” Olena said. “She was very kind, patient, positive and despite my being such a rookie, she encouraged me by saying I caught on really quick and could do things very easily and fast, which was surprising to her. She was adorable so sweet!”
If you couldn’t hear, these are some tips from Kristi:
- Bend your knees a bit and center yourself
- Use your stomach to remain steady and centered
- Always lean forward so you don’t fall back
- The basic method of skating has one foot on the ice and the other to push forward
- A simple maneuver to go backward: push your inner thighs and feet in, and then out
- Spin using your arms to twist your body around, then bring your arms and hands in
- A good skater always has to have a big ending
November 20 and 21
Tickets: www.ticketmaster.com, or charge by phone at 800-745-3000, Arena Box Office and all Walmart outlets. Group sales are being managed by Hawaii Opera Theatre at 808-596-7858. For more information visit www.alwaysdream.org.